This is, on the one hand, the simplest, yet, on the other hand, the most complicated test. It is, however, ALWAYS a number 1 test when diagnosing the reasons behind infertility. To ensure the representativeness of your sperm sample, you have to abide by the following rules:
- You should undergo a sperm analysis at the very department where the test is to be performed. It is highly inadvisable to bring your sperm from home tucking it under the arm or having put it into a woollen sock et cetera, since it can distort the actual quality of the material.
- You have to abstain from sex for 2-4 days.
- You should not be taking any of the following medications that can affect the quality of sperm:
- Anabolic steroids;
- Tetracycline, Erythromycin;
- Calcium channel blockers;
- Beta- and alpha-blockers;
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors;
The withdrawal of these medications for 3-4 days will not change the situation. Ideally, man should be free of any of these substances over a period of 3 months.
There should be no strong alcoholic beverages, saunas, steam baths, straining physical activities, neuropsychic exhaustion and sleep deficiency within 2-3 days prior to the test.
The sperm analysis will take the embryologist about 2-3 hours, after which a form sheet with the analysis findings will be given to you. It will look something like this: